What is ABA Therapy?
Applied Behavior Analysis is an empirically validated treatment for autism and many other disorders. Empirically validated means that lots of research was conducted on the procedures we use before they are implemented with our clients. ABA is based on the science of learning and behavior. This science includes general “laws” about how behavior works and how learning takes place. These rules and procedures are based on decades of research. ABA therapy is used to increase language and communication skills. It is also used to improve attention, focus, social skills, memory, and academics. In addition, ABA can be used to help decrease problem behaviors.
ABA methods are used to support persons with autism in at least six ways:
- to increase behaviors (e.g. reinforcement procedures increase on-task behavior, or social interactions);
- to teach new skills (e.g., systematic instruction and reinforcement procedures teach functional life skills, communication skills, or social skills);
- to maintain behaviors (e.g., teaching self control and self-monitoring procedures to maintain and generalize job-related social skills);
- to generalize or to transfer behavior from one situation or response to another (e.g., from completing assignments in the resource room to performing as well in the mainstream classroom);
- to restrict or narrow conditions under which interfering behaviors occur (e.g., modifying the learning environment); and
- to reduce interfering behaviors (e.g., self injury or stereotypy).
ABA is an objective discipline. ABA focuses on the reliable measurement and objective evaluation of observable behavior. We don’t operate on hunches!
GBC aba works with you, too - the caregiver - encouraging and guiding with you so you can carry what we do in an ABA session into the child or adult’s broader environs at home, school, play, community, and/or work. We will help you best understand choices available to you and how to prioritize your concerns in an effective manner regardless of the situation or the setting. The value of our services is best revealed in the high degree of open communication with all stakeholders in the support process with the ultimate goal being to equip you with the knowledge to make the optimum decision for your family.
Please visit Our Services and click on any of the listed GBC aba services for more details about the type of ABA you are most interested.